Some things are more expensive than we expected. Some things as cheap as we hoped.
Expensive – probably due to the fact we live in a ritzy area and are obviously tourists.
- eggs – the first store we went to had eggs at the equivalent of $4 a dozen. Not sure what type of chicken these came from.
- coffee – a cup of coffee is $2 everywhere we go. That’s more than a certain coffee company I used to work for that gets maligned for their high prices. (Jeff feels this isn’t a good comparison since here it’s all espresso not drip.)
This was even more than $2, but it’s a famous Buenos Aires cafe.
- gym – due to all the inexpensive items (below) we’ve had to join a gym. That was $60 a month per person
- veggies – we’ve only been to a store called Disco (nothing to dance about). The veggies are more than the organic stuff we buy at home. We’re hoping to find some vegetable markets. Or we’ll just stop eating vegetables all together. No big loss there.
- Facial cleanser – Jeff wanted some face soap and I insisted he buy this cheap bottle I found at the Farmacia. It turned out to be makeup remover. Guess my Spanish still needs work. Instead, the pharmacist insisted Jeff buy some other facial cleaning gel. it was $20 for the bottle, but Jeff’s skin has never looked better.
Inexpensive – luckily the important things in life are cheap here.
- wine – good and cheap
- empanadas – only a buck each and sooooo delicious. Jeff’s favorite – jamon and queso. Tastes like a ham and cheese sandwich in pie crust. My favorite carne sauve, a good one tastes like sloppy joes encased in pie crust.
Technically the carne sauve ones are cow, although since I can’t identify the parts it doesn’t count. Although since it’s ground beef, I may have already eaten all the parts of a cow.
- Dulce de Leche – this is truly somethng I’m addicted to. I can NOT get enough of it. Caramelized sugar and who knows what, but it’s amazing in so many different ways.
In a brownie
In another brownie and in ice cream.
Between 2 mini cookies.
Pretty soon we are going back to healthy eating….but not quite yet.